Thoughts on weight reduction on the featured kickstand?

I want to know how they built a front wheel with spokes outside the brake disc on both sides. Perhaps they got M.C Escher to consult on the design?

4 Likes

GCN did similar recently with their Eurobike reviews

1 Like

I hope they are feeling caught out with respect to the boots. Good find!

4 Likes

Our man gets around!

From the Begasso homepage:

They might be on to something here.

5 Likes

9.6kg for a carbon rim brake roadie. Must be the decals.

4 Likes

Well, at least they got the drivetrain on the correct side of the bike. Twice this year I’ve seen print ads in Bicycling (for some kind of supplement) featuring a guy on a road bike with a 10-15 year old Dura Ace or Ultegra drivetrain, on the left side of the bike.

2 Likes

What comes to my mind: being poor is very expensive.

In the best case these bikes wear out easily. In the worst case you get hurt.

2 Likes

He’s not as famous as Iain the bike thief but still :laughing:

2 Likes

Oh boy. I just found out that this beauty is sold in a Los Angeles Walmart’s online shop for $271.17 down from $338.89

It’s been a blast, but now I feel bad poking fun at it - and thus the people who are probably buying this for Christmas. Can you imagine looking in the eyes of your young hopefuls that wanted nothing more than a race bike? Can you imagine sitting there and saying ‘thank you, Mom - just what I hoped for’?

Let’s hope there aren’t too many firearms around.

Edit: If I got an NFT of Wout’s best moment I’d probably kill that stupid bitch, so it’s not so bad after all.

1 Like

Oh God! I’ve seen these things on Wish! They’re so bad! Gotta love the front brake cable “routing.” They could at least throw a cheap Sensah groupset on there so they have integrated shifting!

1 Like

Many years ago I posted the visp, a similar alibaba monstrosity, in the rocacorba daily comments section. Matt de neef posted that he laughed for about 15 mins solid going through all the details of that beauty.

I’ll see if I can dig it up again

2 Likes

https://images.app.goo.gl/Nv5vJFKE2T5HYcLS7

3 Likes

They eventually noticed the brake levers weren’t quite ok and changed that:

Shift lever placement was optimized so you can use your chin.

O my. Just found out these are actually Shimano Shifters - meet the Shimano A050.

@Steel Thank you!!! That really made my day.

1 Like

At least it is red… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yes, as used on the Décathlon Triban 100:

1 Like

Did anyone here try this? The video makes it look outright dangerous to use (it’s certainly not going to shift just accidentaly)

The guy in the video looks really unhappy, too - as if he was waiting for customers to sue him once they tried to shift on a descent.

1 Like

Am I the only one impressed that Villano actually went to the effort of making a bunch of how-to YouTube videos for their buyers? Presumably in the full knowledge that anyone buying their product is probably unfamiliar with the operations of a road bicycle, and needs to know these things.

1 Like

I’m completely overwhelmed by this weird and wonderful world of absurd components.

I mean: look at the first indexed downtube shifters from Shimano - I think that was the 600 SiS - in its elegant simplicity and ease of use (especially if set to friction mode) - and now this? It’s like the cultural shock of The Japanese Washing Machine.

To me, it looks like the engineers were unfamilliar with the operations of a road bike - they probably made the video because they think this thing is really cool.

1 Like

OMG…that video is just painful to watch. Jeff looks like he is in a hostage video and his accent sounds like a cartoon character.

And the effort he needs to exert to shift gears? That alone would make me not buy the bike.

1 Like