Thru axle upgrade

Are thru axle upgrades even a thing? I have no problem to solve; I’m just curious. I know the Robert Axle Project would have me think so. Outside of shaving a few grams, I can only suppose a case of tolerances being slightly off, deforming the chainstays slightly or something similar.

I am using Robert Axle Project ones on my road bike and it somewhat transformed the bike. The axles I believe are stiffer which means first no brake rub anymore at all when out the saddle and second the bike just feels directer (if that makes sense). So yes I think it is a thing or should be. I also very much dislike thru axles that have some form of lever and the Robert’s solved that as well.

3 Likes

I saved around 50 grams changing the thruaxles on my Giant TCR J&L thruaxles are relatively cheap, and are holding up well.

1 Like

Yup especially on mtb side I’ve done it on both gravel and mtb bikes wolf tooth components makes some nice ones

1 Like

Or you have the classic MTB upgrade reason: taking bike wheels of to fit in car and leaving thru axel on the roof and driving off!

2 Likes

Thanks all, that’s all it takes to convince me! Will look into it.

Not only that: some people are obsessed with all things aero, and then leave those levers sticking out of the frame.

If you angle the levers appropriately you can save 0.0062 watts. A couple of hours in a wind tunnel will sort you out.