Trek Direct to Consumer

I have heard from another industry contact that Trek will be announcing that they are selling DTC by the end of the year. If true, that will be interesting.

2 Likes

If true then it’s part of a 2-pronged approach because here in Europe there’s a huge push to open directly-owned stores, they’re aiming for 50, in addition to developing “partnerships” with IBDs. They’ve only got about 2% of the market in Europe vs nearly 50% of the US so I guess we’re the growth opportunity.

Ignoring the whole impending recession thing, obviously.

1 Like

Wonder if it’ll be a boone to the consumer?

16 Likes

I’m not sure they’re ready to step into the retail domane.

21 Likes

This decision shows that the original Canyon business model was ahead of its time and only the MAD ONEs will not follow it.

6 Likes

Aren’t there Trek stores all over the place?

Yeah, sure, “ahead of its time”, and relying on LBS to take care of Canyon bike owners’ needs for repairs during the season when their mechanics already work over-time in order to keep their customers’ bikes afloat. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I think theyre independent franchisees, similar to Giants ‘Ride’ stores.

1 Like

Where I used to live they directly acquired and operate a local bike shop chain. I know this for a fact as I’m still somewhat friendly with the prior ownership group who divested the business in 2020.

2 Likes

That’s not Canyons fault in my opinion. The bike shop could either take the job or not take the job at the end of the day. There is evidently nothing wrong with a brand like canyon as long as they can provide the necessary instructions and support. If that’s the issue then I see where you’re coming from.

To the original topic, Trek and specialized have bought so many shops across the country that a D2C type model only makes sense. You can order through their website and have it delivered to a local specialized shop. Specialized already has this type of setup with their bike shop partners.

As much as I hate this but most corporate owned bike shops are going to turn into service center and soft goods stores with minimal bike inventory. I think it will be like the gateway computers store business model. This will make more sense as bikes become more unique to the brands themselves with specific frame routing and build “features”.

2 Likes

They’re a mixture of both independent and corporate owned.

Wonder if they’ll be slashing prices as a result? Could really fuel the demise of the LBS, or could be Superfly if done correctly.

1 Like

There is no chance they will be reducing prices…this is a move to increase their profits by removing one layer of distribution process. The market has shown what people are willing to pay for their bikes (i.e. a premium) Trek is just going to pocket that money.

3 Likes

I think you missed the Trek model references there (Slash, Fuel a bit more subtle than the Superfly).

And to answer the question seriously, discounting bikes DTC would just kill their own-store model. Though I tend to agree with another post that in say 10 years those stores will be primarily servicing, fit and accessories.

2 Likes

Which country does this relate to?

You act as if a LBS only ever services bikes they sold. That’s utter nonsense. At least at any respectable shop a customer is a customer.

4 Likes

Specialized did this. They bought up a bunch of stores and also went consumer direct. Sounds like Trek is just doing the same thing.

It SHOULD be utter nonsense….but there are plenty of tales from people who leave an LBS that the owner / manager refuses to touch. From a department store bike to Canyons…

I’ll never understand that attitude.

3 Likes

I think they could afford to do that 15y ago. I am not sure this is still a viable business model.

Additionnally in some countries this is illegal.

1 Like