Tubeless Road riders, tips on spares to carry?

So I recently built up a frameset and got some Mavic Kysirium Elite wheels and tires that are set up tubeless. I’ve used tubeless before on the road but it was a time when the technology and tire selection was pretty nascent and expensive, I had no issues running lower pressure with tubes nor many issues with flats on tubes where I lived so went back to a tubed set up. Things have changed and I now live in an area with thorns and cacti needles so while tubes have served me well I’m going to commit to using tubeless on this set up. I did want to see if this would be a good opportunity to shrink down my seat bag and go with a Silca Mattone to replace 3 year/30,000+ mile Ortlieb Micro which has gotten rattly and gross looking.

Currently I carry two tubes, two co2s, an inflator, and a tire boot along with Fix it sticks and a Pedro’s lever. My thoughts are to stick with 2 co2s but cut back to single tube with a short valve (48mm valve length) and stripped down tire plug kit. I ride 200miles a week exclusively on the road and the vast majority of it is solo. I do live in the desert so am occasionally in pretty remote spots without cell service and am usually alone. Is this a good set up for me or is the resistance to flats overblown on tubeless road. I know on the MTB with tubeless I have I almost never get flats and when I have gotten them it’s been because the sealant had dried out and I forgot then burped the tire in a corner.

You’re more than covered. For a remote area, I would swap the CO2 for a mini-pump. Otherwise, IMO you only need the tire-plug kit, tire levers, spare tube, and something to serve as a “boot” in case of a side-wall cut to the tire. Road tubeless can definitely get you stranded if you don’t stay on top of your sealant levels.

3 Likes

I use Stan’s Race in my road and gravel tires.

Road: In the city I carry a Stan’s plug kit and a CO2. If I’m heading out of the city I’ll add a tube, tire levers and a 2nd CO2. If I’m heading way out, I’ll add a pump and a 2nd tube.

Gravel: Same as above, but I always carry a tube and 2nd CO2 and If I’m heading way out, I’ll add a pump and a 2nd tube.

1 Like

Good to know. I had my first experience with traditional bacon strips last night on road tubeless and it definitely will only live in my MTB bag. Luckily it was me patching a small leak in my living room, ran out and bought a Stan’s dart and boom puncture sealed.

I’m not a fan of saddle or bar bags so I carry in my jersey pockets a Dynaplug Racer (small, light and holds two plugs), a few extra plugs of different sizes, two CO2 canisters, a tube, tyre levers and a Topeak HP Rocket mini pump. All but the tube and pump fit in my Rapha case along with my phone. For shorter rides I will ditch the CO2.

A plug system, 2 tire levers and a super light/small tubolito tube + a set of patches. All takes less room than a traditionnal butyl tube + the levers and fit comfortably in one jersey pocket.

And a small pump because co2 canisters are lame and not environmentally friendly.

2 Likes

I’ve never needed my spare tube on the gravel, just my dynaplug. If I was going to ride road tubeless I’d ditch the spare tube and live on the edge with just the dynaplug, co2 and pump. Or heck even just ditch the co2 since most punctures on tubeless self seal and are rideable. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, dynaplug is so much better than other plug systems!

What I carry as well. CO2 can blow out the sealant from the puncture if it’s not set firmly yet so always advisable to use a pump unless the tyre has unseated itself which really shouldn’t happen with modern tubeless rims.

And agree with others that Dynaplug is head and shoulders above the other plug systems, you pay for it but it’s money well spent.