Tubeless Tubular?

Does anyone have experience of using tubeless tubulars? I think that these are only made by Challenge and Tufo. The Challenge ones look very intriguing being a handmade tub with a latex lining. Currently I run tubulars with sealant (mainly for race days only), so the ability to fix larger punctures with a plug is very attractive.

I never even knew this was a thing, and to be honest, I thought you were smoking something in honor of 4/20, but sure enough - tubeless tubulars really do exist! per the Challenge website:

Also launching at Eurobike are the first Gravel Handmade Tubeless Tubulars (HTLTU). All Challenge Gravel treads now offer this unique HTLTU system that maintains all the performance benefits of the best handmade tubulars. A latex liner is fused to the casing, replacing the traditional inner tube, allowing for the use of a plug to finish a ride or race in case of a puncture too large for the sealant to fix.

I’m waiting for a company to release the revolutionary tubeless hookless tubular clincher latex butyl hooked tire.

4 Likes

Sounds like a pretty neat idea, especially if you’re already bought into tubulars.

3 Likes

Donnelly Strada LGG 25mm is tubeless. I have been using them for about 10 years with no flats or sealant.

2 Likes

I am on my second set of Tufo’s training level tubeless tubulars. I have had decent luck using Stan’s regular sealant to get home. The pressure required in the rear wheel to support my 100 kg challenges the Stan’s for long term use after a puncture. Silca’s carbon sealant, Tufo’s Carbon sealer, or maybe Orange Seal may work better.

I also carry a plug kit, tried using it after I got home but I botched the repair. Using the rasp created a hole too big for the bacon strip to seal at the pressure I use. A dart style plug system may work better.

BTW, I have had about 1 puncture/year. (Touch wood). I had worse success with tubed tubulars. I went through 3 in about 6 months.

1 Like

Learned something today.

Was under the impression that tubulars where always tubeless.

Tubulars have always had a tube, but they a few encased in the tire itself. You can’t replace them…(but you can repaint them if you want to learn how to sew the casing yourself, which is a huge PITA).

What’s the durability like on those? How many pairs have you gone through in ten years? I thought the Challenge were expensive at $100 USD but those seem to be around $130. But they could be a worthwhile buy if they have good durability.

You are joking but Tufo actually made some tubeless tubulars that sported some kevlar bead to mount them on clincher rims without a need to glue them.

I tried one set out of curiosity a few years ago. I think they were simply called clincher-tubulars at the time.

Edit: they are still made and sold apparently, called tubular -clincher:
https://www.tufo.com/en/tubular-clincher/
https://www.tufo.com/en/tyres/?pl_art_gsegr=1444

I actually started with a set, out of curiosity. They only worked on narrow rims. They are still mounted on my winter bike. Doesn’t get ridden much.

There aren’t many incentive to ride tufo tubulars inthe first place. They have never been the most supple and best riding tubulars and their rolling resistance has always been considered quite high. They were more popular with the weight weenie crowd thanks to their low weight. The clincher tubular version would negate most of the weight gain compared to a setup with a tubular rim. You are left with what? Stronger pinch flat resistance. Now that tubeless tires are common that leave very little place for thoses clincher-tubulars.

I still see one use for lightweight regular tufo tubulars: spares. The lightest ones (elite jet or the track models) in their narrowest version will fold very small, barely bigger than a spare butyl tube.

I am more interested with the 30 and 36mm tubeless tubulars from Challenge to be honest. The 30mm ones will probably replace my current road set when they’ll be too worn. I have 2 nice carbon disc tubular wheelsets, I intend to keep running tubulars even if I see the merits of tubeless as the resale value of these wheels would be quite low anyway.

In the way back time I ran a couple pairs of Tufo tubular clinchers a rep gave me for a couple cross seasons here in northeast USA. Racing cross at that time was somewhere between muck and frozen muck. The advantage then was being able to run your clincher wheels at lower pressure in the mud without the pain of tubulars. Not sure I got a lot out of them but they were fun to play with and I was able to finish a race(2nd) after pinch flatting and being able to ride um home. Don’t seen much of an advantage now, I run tubeless on all my modern bikes. Still run tubulars on my old stuff for fun( and to confuse the young ones) but then again I’m 65.