Ugliest bike awards

I was looking at a bike on a cycling marketplace the other day and wondered, is that the ugliest bike ever made? It was a Specialized Shiv, which gets my vote. Any other contenders out there for ugliest bike of the year, or decade?

1 Like

My two bobs worth. Itera, plastic, Sweden and the 80’s and I have one in my garage too boot, but perhaps lets not go back too many decades

Not sure if the Itera is the ugliest bike, but it has earned a place on the Museum of Failure website.

1 Like

Any contemporary time trial bike, and any bike with heavily dropped seat stays…

That Specialized Shiv meets both criteria and thus also gets my vote.

2 Likes

Gold Medal: The Pinarellos with the wobbly bits.

Silver Medal: Any bike with dropped chainstays.

Bronze medal: Any bike with dropped seatstays. Yes they’re ugly but compared to the top steps of the podium they are as nothing

3 Likes

Agreed 100% on Pinarellos….look like they got left in the oven for too long.

TT bikes are an entirely different category, IMO.

1 Like

Also agree! I can’t get into these bikes…they remind me of what my 4 year old comes up with when she’s drawing a “bike” in crayon. Squiggles, odd shapes and definitely outside the lines.

2 Likes

I came here to make a comment about how it’s impossible to choose due to CFD making all bikes look the same but then I read the comments. Yeah. It’s Pinarellos.

1 Like

Nominating Kuota for bikes like the Kup (MTB) and the Khan (road bike) of some years ago.

1 Like

9 Likes

The Canyon Grail. Those handlebars…yeesh!

2 Likes

Indeed, not my kup of tea

2 Likes

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

DeRosa Tango. Imagine what a bike would look like if it was made of cheese then ridden into the back of a bus. Then driven over by the bus. Contemporary reviews noted that the frame design handily draws the eye away from the sloping top tube design. Well yes.

10 Likes

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In the Tango’s case, any beholder should urgently see the eye doctor. That bike is fugly!

1 Like

Not a bike but a component:

3 Likes

Interesting to see the Shiv mentioned. To me, the latest version is the best looking TT bike in use. I haven’t looked far and wide but in general the TT world is full of horrors. But the Shiv is at least a minimal and practical approach that looks like it would be amazing to ride.

I personally am not a fan of skinny steel tubes coupled with a 44mm non- tapered head tube. It’s just so out of proportion with the rest of the bike, and even worse when the bike has a tall head tube.

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem with the looks of skinny steel tubes. I do concede though that any steel frame built for anyone over about 185cm tall is generally pretty ugly due to the proportions. Only time I am glad I am shortish as smaller frames always seem to look better.

1 Like

Well in general the only bikes that look good are between 56 and 58 or L frame size. Anything else look either crushed or stretched compared to the original sketch.

But yes the Kuota were eyesores, never understood their popularity a decade ago, they were everywhere. I reckon they went bankrupt, never seen a modern one or any news/review of a kuota bike in recent years.

I also share the sentiment toward Pinarello bikes.

1 Like