VeloNews and Peloton hard copy demise

I just got an email from Outside. Peloton will no longer exist in print form. VeloNews stopped printing, and Peloton took its place. Just venting. I miss VeloNews hard copy. I started reading it in 1995. I always looked forward to receiving it. Anyone else care to vent/comment? BTW. I realize why we no longer get the hard copy. It’s best for the environment and cost effective for Outside. I’m just offering my thoughts.

1 Like

Yep. There is something tangible about print form - the weight in the hand, the smell of the paper - which is why Bicycle Quarterly is such a treasure and a possible replacement should anyone be searching for great photography, good writing and something away from the mainstream.

2 Likes

Reading anything in hard copy is a tactile experience and something, IMHO, that engages the reader more. I think a lot of us have felt the excitement about finding out what wil happen in a story after turning the page or likewise the bit of sadness after reading the last page of a book. Scrolling through a story or article on a computer doesn’t seem have the same effect.

As for being better for the environment, is that really true? I think paper can be recycled pretty easily and doens’t suffer the limitations of some other recycled materials. Meanwhile there’s a host of environmental side-effects to our digital lives: all the wasted and toxic materials in phones, laptops, and computers; the energy required to make those devices, charge them, or power them; and so on.

Then there are the knock-on political and social effects resulting from the mining of and the need to purchase rare elements for these devices, especially since so many of those rare metals come from places that aren’t known for their fair treatment of citizens, minority populations, and/or political dissidents.

I’m not a luddite. My work exists online, and I enjoy high tech. Still, there is something about the semi-permanence of books, magazines, and even things like newspapers. in the magazine rack next to the toilet in one of our bathrooms, is a bunch of years old cycling magazines. More often than not, leafing through those old mags is far more interesting than scrolling through a story on my phone as I heed nature’s call.

Imagine an alternate world wherein you’re waiting for your monthly issue of Cycling Tips to arrive. Each issue would be a hundred or hundreds of pages long (especially if it included a deep tool dive from Dave and another exposé from Iain) and would have large, amazing glossy photos from the Grubers.

5 Likes

This.

Just grabbed this at my local Newsagent. A quick flick through seemed interesting enough to warrant buying it. Hope it’ll be a viable replacement!

I have more than a few boxes of VeloNews, Cycling Weekly, Winning Magazine, Bicycle Guide etc all from the eighties and nineties. I threw the RIDE magazines in the bin after they went online.

• Print stimulates more senses.

“One exclusive quality that print has and the digital media can never match is just how tangible it is. Consumers are able to browse through a magazine, feel the paper and even distinguish between certain paper densities and compositions.

For example, one specific advert may be printed on a thicker, more porous paper that is easy to take notice of, compared to the rest of the glossy sheets in the magazine. Also, there’s the smell of ink on paper that adds to the overall experience of reading something printed.

These are important senses that cannot be stimulated in the digital environment – or not yet, at least.

Complex information is also better absorbed in print than in digital, because people need to locate themselves in the text when looking at complex ideas – and that’s much easier to do in print than in digital.

“Very often, when you read something from a printed magazine or book you can recall where on the physical page it was when you saw it – you can recall if you were two-thirds of the way through, or half of the way through,” says Beare.

The tangibility that print has to offer also makes readers pay more attention to the content than digital does. This is because readers have to actively engage with printed content to read it – they have to pick up the content, hold it and read it. With digital content, they can passively scroll through it, without having to focus too much.”

1 Like