Wedge seat clamp issues?

Continuing the discussion from Wedge seat post clamp cracking a carbon fiber seat post:

1 Like

Not specifically this issue but I have had real problems with the seat slipping on my Canyon TT bike. It’s a wedge type and the core issue is that the wedge is too small so there is insufficient clamping area. The best solution is to find a compatible clamp from another brand that has more surface area.

Interestingly Canyon support told me it was fine to torque it over the stated maximum (I won’t mention the revised nM they told me as YMMV and I don’t want to recommend this to anyone else!). I found a different solution which has worked: fibre grip paste and also applying a wrap of electrical tape on the post immediately above the insertion point which jams the post if it slips a little.

The post slips on my 2021 Trek Domane all the time if I don’t re-torque it regularly and keep it covered in carbon paste. Round seatposts ftw!

1 Like

electrical tape?? try a very, very light coating of blue thread locker on post and interior of seat tube. it creates a very light bond/stabilizer that allows you to easily pull the post out when it’s needed.
I did this on a TCR with bare carbon seat tube internal surface (to quiet some creaking), safe and effective.

1 Like

Yes like this - LOCTITE 221 - Methacrylat-Schraubensicherung - Henkel Adhesives

1 Like

yup, RED thread locker would be too much on a seatpost/frame interface (but it consistently worked awesome on stopping a metal-railed saddle from creeping back in a saddle clamp).

1 Like

I’ve seen wedges put dents/indentations in carbon seatposts before - my Factor has put some interesting marks in a Hope carbon post. While I see the merits of the design (clamp the post without compressing the seattube), they tend to be fraught with difficulties a lot of the time.

1 Like

Good call Sean, will try the red thread locker, have some for my chainring bolts etc. The electrical tape serves a second purpose of marking the post height and is more or less invisible as black on black.