What misspelled cycling terms bug you

Petty, I know. The biggest gripe for me is people referring to a downhill section as a ‘decent’. All over Strava, comment sections etc. Is this a case of autocorrect or do people really think descending is decent?

What other petty spelling or usage mistakes get you riled up?

5 Likes

Peleton

6 Likes

Any reference to ‘breaks’ in place of ‘brakes’ bugs me.

‘Tires’ likewise means ‘fatigues’, in relation to exertion; ‘tyres’ are rubber objects for the outside of wheels. The substitute spelling creates a needless homonym. Likewise, ‘aluminium’ is the original name of the metal and the accepted international standard; why the need for ‘aluminum’?

To be clear, I realise I’ve picked 2 examples of American English; this doesn’t indicate some sort of wider bias!

And while not (at all) specific to cycling, the splicing of clearly independent clauses via a comma is now endemic, even in what I’d consider ‘quality’ media, and is in my view the gold-standard giveaway of a poor writer.

10 Likes

And don’t even get me started on “peleton”…:persevere::persevere::persevere:

Not related to cycling, using the phrase “must of” or “should of” is like nails on a chalkboard for me…there are no such phrases. “must have” or “should have”…or if you insist, “must’ve” or “should’ve”.

/petpeeve

8 Likes

I’m noting how I can be maximally annoying :laughing:

3 Likes

I think you might find that aluminum is actually the original spelling. British scientists (Victorian era iirc) added the second “I” to give the word a more classical sound, hence the difference between us in the UK and our cousins in the US. They are correct for once :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

Ok, so I’m sufficiently sad that I actually went and looked this up.

It seems Humphrey Davy originally came up with alumium (1808), later alumine (1810), then aluminum in 1812. Whether this was any kind of conscious decision seems unclear. However, even by 1812, other scientists were referring to aluminium, standardising the suffix with other elements (sodium, potassium etc). Again, whether this was deliberate or accidental analogy isn’t clear. In any case, the two variants have been in simultaneous use for over 200 years.

I’ve learned something :rofl:

4 Likes

Now stop calling my city How-stun and You-stun :rofl:

My bike has tires, not tyres. I don’t have mudguards on my bikes, but if I did they would be fenders.

1 Like

Hew-ston? :rofl:

1 Like

It bugs me to hear seat instead of saddle and “padded shorts” instead of chamois, but I’m also old enough to remember them being made of animal hide.

Get off my lawn!!

3 Likes

Not surprising that our cousins in Great Britain add a spurious “i” to a perfectly good word. They seem to like doing that sort of thing- like all the extra “u”'s that end up in GR English words- colour, etc. I’m all for reducing the number of letters in words to make them faster and easier to type. All that extra energy wasted typing those unnecessary extra letters is certainly contributing to climate change.

1 Like

And the purpose of a chamois was to reduce friction, not pad the sitting area.

Today’s “super chamois” still can’t hold a candle to a natural chamois lathered up with chamois cream…nothing felt better on the bike!!

2 Likes

You just need to add more time for typing to your shez-ual.

1 Like

There are many accents in the US of A but many seem to take issue with the use of any vowel, preferring instead to exclusively rely on consonants unless forced otherwise. On the other hand, as an Australian, I choose to add as many vowels as time allows. The English language is indeed a broad church, something that makes it so wonderfully messy.

6 Likes

We are engaged in a War on Vowels.

Kickr
Tickr
Systm
Xplr
Razr
AXS

9 Likes

I just can’t stand cycling websites misspelling GRUPETTO or GRUPPETO instead of gruppetto.

1 Like

Tire is the original English spelling too, it is probably a shortening of “attire” because the tire dresses the wheel.

The alternative spelling “tyre” became popular in the 19th century and has stuck to the extent that many people think it is the correct spelling.

1 Like

Tyres and descend / descending. So lazy!

The original spelling was tyre, which had shifted to tire in 17c.-18c., but since early 19c. tyre has been revived in Great Britain and become standard there.

1 Like