What projects are you working on?

Am thinking of getting a new steel fork for a 20+ year old custom steel road bike. The current fork crown is fancy but barely clears a 25c tire. If I could fit 28 or 30ish mm tires, it could be my somewhat all-road bike.

1. Rebuilding an old, cromoly MTB as a ‘family trip bike’.
  2. Reading a lot about (road) bicycle steering geometry to get the intuitive steering feel back I had when I had a 2cm wider handlebar. (That intuitive steering feel came from very subtle pressure changes on the handlebar. I want it back without having to resort to the wider handle bar again.)
1 Like

My life is an ongoing bike project. I find used frames and bring them back to life, ride them, keep the ones I like best, and sell the rest. I particularly like redoing frames, having a lot of experience with plastics (early days of model car competitions), fiberglass (boat repairs) and carbon (bike repairs). Here are a couple of projects that I recently completed that deal with the cosmetics only.

The first was a Storck CD 1.0–got the frame from a team that went under, and my goal was to strip the team decals (buried under clear coat) while preserving the underlying original finish. This meant careful precision sanding (mostly 1000 to 2000 grit wet sand paper), and a LOT of time (took about three weeks). This Storck has the unusual rear-facing dropouts…

Another cosmetic project was redoing a used helmet (matte black Specialized Evade), into a color consistent with “my colors” (as seen on my business card, and a few other things).

4 Likes

How did you tape off the venting holes?

Wonerful thread idea, awesome projects and inspiration abound!

My long term project has been rebuilding an old (early 90s approx.) Hardrock frame that I literally found rusting in the street.

End goal: 650b disc bake fixed gear Grountainmmuter Bike.

Done so far:

1. off with canti studs and shifter housing guides
  2. replaced rear drops with Rohloff sliders (done by a friend)
  3. added IS mount + hard points to the fork (same friend)
  4. sand blasted frame + fork (friend #2)
  5. spray.bike framebuilders zinc + 1st color of the color scheme (with my wife)
  6. built wheels with hub dynamo and massive fixed / disc hub that friend #1 whipped up on the lathe
  7. sourced most parts

to do:

• mask & finish paint scheme, 3-4 more layers to go
  • custom decals in the old “stumpjumper” font (tattooist aquaintance)
  • custom unicorn logos + more decals (Inkscape + online plotter)
  • maybe custom bendy handlebar (nothing “right” available in 25,4 and wide enough)
  • finish build
  • shred

Still so exited for this project, It’s such a joy to have so many great people involved. It really takes a village…

A few progress pics:

some disassembly required

getting nekkid

that crazy hub

all bout that zinc

1st coat

4 Likes

I wanna say that is from 1990, maybe 1991. That was literally the first MTB bike and color way that I owned.

Gathering bits and pieces to update this;

Gonna go drop bar, 2x10, 700x40 (tight squeeze but should make it) and a new paint job.

I use painter’s masking tape, a tape that has a very low adhesive so that it won’t pull up the exposed unpainted foam surface–around the edges, I use a thin (1/4") tape that follows the contours easily, and then fill in the empty space with pieces of wider tape–the taping is what takes the most time. I should mention that it is far easier to use a helmet that has a matte surface, as opposed to glossy–if you paint over a glossy surface, the top coat will easily scratch, flake and so forth, and, while possible, it is difficult to prep a glossy surface since it is either very thin, or is in fact an actual heat-applied protective shell.

1 Like

I have a Campagnolo 10 speed groupset (down tube shifters) I’m itching to hang on a 2nd hand frame, preferably steel but so few choices at the moment.

After a lengthy delay due to work travel, holidays, and some rainy weather, I finally had the chance to prime my gravel frame. The paint is on the way so it should start coming together over the coming weeks.

Finally finished painting my gravel frame. It didn’t come out quite as nice as a professional job, and it’s a lot more purple than than I intended, but I still had fun and my bike doesn’t look like anyone else’s.

If you like sanding, this is a great project. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nice job, is that a Carbonda CF696?

Late to the party but why the obsession for MTB conversions to 700c? Looks to me that from a bottom bracket height perspective it would be more sensible to convert to something like 650Bx38-40mm max for gravel duties. All the 26" to 700c converted MTB I saw ended up looking quite high perched and not something I would be looking forward to ride.

Thanks!
That’s a Carbonda CFR707. It has a bit longer reach than the 696. There is also the option to use full internal routing, but I’m going with more traditional external routine.

I’m guessing it’s something that he already owns which would make sense for a fun conversion–certainly the route I would take (checking out what’s in the shed first, before going out and procuring something for a “project”)–not sure where “obsession” came from, though. If I wanted a gravel bike (I don’t, as I’m one of those ones that doesn’t recognize a big enough distinction between the two to get another bike), I’d take my MTB and do as he is suggesting–then, if I found (a) it wasn’t sufficient for my needs, or (b) it was nice but I expected more–then I would think about procuring something beyond the shed, perhaps something even in the “sensible” category.

My comment is not about using a 26" MTB as a starting point which is perfectly valid for cost efficiency. It is about choosing to go 700c wheels instead of going 650B or staying with 26" wheels. There is no way you will keep a normal bottom bracket eight with 700c wheel unless you are using narrow road tires.

Rebuilt my TT bike from red/white/black pretty much stock 2014 mechanical DA with colour change, Di2 12 speed, angled aero bars, bolt skewers, 3d printed beard (not shown), tubeless wheels rebuilt on 10 speed 7900 hubs, and many small upgrades. Also included completely stripping and rebuilding levers. Only further upgrades possible are large jockey wheels, 100w powerup for the rider, aero speedplay pedals and homebuilt front drink solution.

4 Likes

How did you fangle a compatible cassette onto the 7900 freehub, out of interest?

1 Like

Not sure that this is what Andrew used but Edco sell a special locknut that allows for one of their 11 speed cassettes to be used on a 10 speed freehub body.

Just picked these up for a special early 90s project.

4 Likes