What's the future for high end mechanical gears?

That would be the ultimate niche bet :rofl:

Sounds fishy. Even if they have good mileage those parts should be able to do 50k kms without issues.

Certainly it’s odd. EPS isn’t known for being unreliable. The charger/port is fragile, but surely that’s not the issue. Who knows?

It’s at least very likely that TdF’s critical mountain stages will be done by Tadej on rim brakes. Mech would also make sense if reliability of EPS is even remotely an issue. Winning at all costs vs chasing trends.

I noticed during the Criterium du Dauphine that if they had audio from the road there was so much loud noise from the brakes. It must be absolutely painful ride with that noise.

1 Like

I’m not sure about that. He’ll be riding a new prototype V4R which is apparently more aero and lighter than the V3R which is one of the least aero and heaviest frames in the peloton.

Firstly there may not be a rim brake version of this new frame. Frankly I’d be surprised if there was one given how niche rim brake frames are now at the high end of the market.

Secondly they may be able to get the disc V4R to 6.8kg which was impossible with the V3R. It’s certainly possible with other frames such as the Tarmac.

We also have to take into account that given the current balance it will make increasingly difficult for any rim brake rider to get a spare wheelset if team car is not available. There used to be a decent amount of riders riding rim brakes when the full Ineos team was riding rim brakes but I think now he would be isolated in that situation.

Good point, also they’re using Campagnolo which makes it even less likely that neutral service would be of help.

Riding Colnagos with Campagnolo EPS - well OK they get money doing it BUT …
Maybe it‘s the new 13speed stuff ???
I would mount 11speed stuff and relabel Agronaut frames - just like in the old days :wink:

I’d be very happy to relieve them of their substandard tech. I wouldn’t even charge :rofl:

5 Likes

It wasn’t just about weight the last 2 TdF when he chose rim brake. It was also because on the HC climbs there is no team car to give you a spare bike if you puncture. Your best bet is to have rim brakes so you can swap a wheel with a team mate easily or have a neutral wheel that actually fits. The combo of weight and being able to survive a puncture at a critical moment is why.

Perhaps he will run the new Campy wheels tubeless and then be able to survive a puncture more easily while still on disc brakes.

watching CX has all the same squeels… i guess for other reasons too but discs are just effing loud.
i’m with you i don’t know how the peloton doesn’t have all their short hairs standing on end at every braking point!

One potential positive to the noise. It lets everyone behind know your on the brakes and to pay attention. That is if they aren’t already deaf from previous races.

2 Likes

Regarding mechanical gears: Road.cc has revealed rather conclusive info that 105 is going Di2.

Given Shimano going 12-speed and Rival going AXS, it was a logical and expected step.

But it points out even more that the days of mechanical are numbered for both Shimano and SRAM. At least what mid- and high-end are concerned.

I am happy to have gone the ratio technology route.

We still have microshift and some small chinese brands. Has anyone tried sensah parts? I heard it had been funded by or they hired ex sram engineers?

I must admit I tried a chinese LTWOO 12s MTB groupset (well partial groupset, chain is yaban, cassette I don’t remember and crank something else) out of curiosity while I was struggling to get a parts for my fat bike. The derailleur cage looked more like shimano tourney finish and felt like it had way too much play so I expected the shifting to be shitty and unreliable or would implode and would want to swap for Deore or Sram GX parts later…I was pleasantly surprised. A groupset at that price has no right to shift so well. My only wish for a better quality was on the third party XD cassette. I chose one of the most lightweight option and until I packed with grease with a seringe the tiny space that allow the first cogs to rotate inside the bigger block and act as a lockring it is creaking horribly.

Right now I don’t see a reason to switch to shimano/sram shifting parts appart than replace the cassette for a Sram Eagle one when the current on wears out.

I wasn’t as stupid as to try random chinese hydro disc brakes though, I went for magura ones.

Also Ratio here.

For reviews of Sensah parts, you can a.o. look at Trace Velo video’s.

The Sensah stuff certainly looks interesting and I’m tempted to try it on a spare parts build just to see what it’s like.

It appears there have been some running changes in recent months to address some long-standing issues.

• Small plastic lever part inside the left lever that was prone to breaking replaced with metal.
  • Reinforced plastic part now inside the shifter where shifting lever was digging in to shifter body.
  • Hood material has apparently improved.

One of the downsides is that it’s impossible to tell what batch you’re getting from AliExpress sellers, but it seems like if you order from the most popular sellers of it you’re most likely to get up to date kit.

Also worth noting is that is that for those with spare Shimano derailleurs lying around, there’s the Sensah ‘Team Pro’ shifters, which are designed to work with Shimano 11 speed rear-derailleurs (rather than the usual ‘Empire’ set that works on SRAM pull ratios).

In addition, there also appears to be some ‘better’ Chinese cable actuated hydraulic calipers now, namely the ZRace BR 005 (also available under the brand name Onirii):

These are around $100 (AUD) per set, or there’s also the Juin Tech R1/F1 set which I can see for around $200 AUD on Amazon, which are already quite well regarded.

So that means there may be some not entirely crap options at the lower end for those building up disc frames on a budget.

2 Likes

Anyone know of a teardown of the Sensah shifters? I wonder if there’s any compatibility with SRAM given the similar shift action and rumored overlap of employees.

Not sure of a teardown, but from what I’ve read of the experiences of others the 11 speed Empire set is fully cross compatible with SRAM derailleurs.

Here’s a list of the Sensah range that I found on Facebook:
R7 - Shimano compatible, 2x7 speed road shifting levers.
Reflex - Shimano compatible, 2x8 speed road groupset
Ignite - Shimano compatible, 2x9 speed road groupset
Quantum - Shimano R4700 (11speed pull ratio!) compatible, 2x10 speed road shifting levers
Team Pro - Shimano compatible, 2x11 speed shifting lever
Empire - SRAM compatible, 2x11 speed groupset
SRX Pro - 1x11 speed gravel groupset, compatibility not confirmed.
Empire Pro - 2x12 speed groupset, compatibility not confirmed.

I think there is a slight mistake for 2x10 in this list though, pretty sure that Quantum 2x10 is compatible with the old Shimano pull ratio, whereas Phi is for the newer 4700 pull ratio. However, looking at reviews on AliExpress for the Phi set, the derailleurs seem to be poor quality.

Front shifting levers are compatible with Shimano front derailleurs.
Empire shifting lever is NOT compatible with Shimano rear derailleurs.

3 Likes

Oh, other way round. Quantum uses the 4700 pull ratio, Phi uses the older Shimano pull ratio.

2 Likes