wind speed indicator

I am an 81 year old male owner of a 7 year old Gazelle Orange C7 (ebike).
The only modification is an increased tyre width to 38mm. I ride it mainly along
surfaced coastal paths where head winds can reach uncomfortable levels.
Garmin and Strava provide SOG (speed over ground, road speed) and I would
like some means of determining AS (air speed) combined with a wind direction
indicator, although the direction indicator is of secondary importance. The means
then to use SOG and AS to compute the actual(?) bike speed and effort would be
necessary. I’m not sure if this is a topic for the CT community but I thought I’d ask.

3 Likes

off the top of my head, maybe check out wind data instruments for small sailboats. analogue, digital, small, light weight.

Pitot tube anemometer.

Small, light, cheap(ish) ones are made for model planes, drones etc. There’s even one for Arduino.

FWIW I’m not sure you need airspeed to compute the actual bike speed: unless you are more than figuratively flying, the tyres remain in contact with the ground so the speed over ground is the actual bike speed.

2 Likes

A cheaper option might be to learn the Beaufort Scale

2 Likes

I prefer a more scientific wind measurement method thank you very much.

8 Likes

Thank you, I checked these as an option but likely to be too cumbersome for the front of a bike.

1 Like

Thank you, “the tyres remain in contact with the ground so the speed over ground is the actual bike speed”, I should have emphasized “effort” rather than “bike speed”.

2 Likes

Thank you, but not practical for my purpose :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your replies. I’m looking into the possibility of using a hand-held anemometer mounted on the head tube. The anemometer would preferably have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth digital output linked to an app and using both the SOG and AS data to compute the actual(?) effort used to move the bike. I hope this makes a little more sense.

3 Likes

If effort for a given pace is your primary consideration, would a powermeter or even a heart rate monitor not suffice? These would certainly give a more accurate indication of your output than a wind speed monitor, and with none of the computational hassle you’re currently preparing for. Furthermore, they’re pretty inexpensive these days at the entry level, not to mention widely compatible.

4 Likes

Thank you. I’ve attached a screenshot of data from my Forerunner 935 that illustrates the ride I described in my original post. It shows the speed (blue) and heart rate (overlaid in red) for both the outward and return ride over the same route. The first part of the ride, 32 mins, was against the wind with occasional protection, and the second part, 24 mins with a following wind. The HR and speed show a greater effort needed for the outward ride compared to the return ride. What I thought would indicate the overall effort would be the wind speed overlaid over the speed. Which, thinking about it, would possibly resemble a smoother HR overlay.

1 Like

I agree with Nick; if yo are adding a gadget to your bike for the purpose of quantifying “effort”, a power meter will give you better results than a anemometer.

If you are specifically interested in the wind, take a look at mywindsock.com. It will combine a ride file with available weather data to give you estimates of your airspeed.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing the data Peter.

While an anemometer would provide a plot for wind speed (adjusted for yaw?) to measure against ‘bike speed’, gradient, rolling resistance, CdA, drivetrain losses, cadence, power output—in short, a host of features you are still not controlling for—will elude this device’s capability and thus your measurement, rendering your ‘effort’ calculation inaccurate at best—perhaps no better than your current one with HR and speed.

Powermeters measure effort, your target metric, as do HRMs. These devices will yield accuracy regardless of any external factor; plotting effort vs speed per unit distance is then a simple affair, and average wind speed per unit distance will then be extrapolable. The algorithms you’ll need to make this work (albeit shittily due to aforementioned control issues) without a powermeter are not worth the man-hours you’ll save by just buying one instead.

Speaking of which, I myself would be quite satisfied with the HR vs speed plot you already have as an indicator that tailwinds are friendlier than headwinds. :slight_smile:

The graphs you have are already great for showing the of effort you put in. Perhaps a power meter would enhance this a little. I’ve come to understand that a power meter is a more direct indicator and HR lags a little behind. Getting a power meter compatible wity your Gazelle Orange e-bike might be difficult.
Another possibility for a power reading would be the motor in the bike itself. The newest Gazelle has the Bosch Active line motor. Bosch says: Torque sensor Detects the rider’s own pedal power and passes this on to the motor control system
Getting the reading from that sensor probably means bye bye to your warranty if not destroy the motor. So be careful. There are however several tuning kits available, it might be that there is one that gets all the data from the motorcontroller.

Be careful with tuning of your ebike. Ebikes are nice but humans are really not made for crashes above 20 kmh. We see lots of elder folks end up as a statistic. Their response to their sensors is lagging a bit.

Active Line: the harmonious Bosch motor for eBikes - Bosch eBike Systems (bosch-ebike.com)

Hello,
If you want to measure your airspeed, a company called weatherflow makes small bluetooth anemometers - Weather on the go with the handheld WEATHERmeter
If you mount it off of you handlebars it will measure airspeed and you can log this to a phone app. You will need to scale up the wind speed by about 15% (x 1.15) due to the presence of the bike and the rider.
There is an android app called cdacrr (https://cdacrr.blogspot.com/) which is designed for calculating drag, but I think it will synchronise the airspeed with your road speed.
As someone else suggested, mywindsock.com is another possibility. Though it will not be that accurate for terrain specific winds like a coastal path.
Our company makes bike mounted anemometers (www.streamlinesaero.com), but they are not on general release and would be a slight overkill for your application.

1 Like

I used a power meter called a power pod which calculated power by wind speed, direction and various other metrics to give you a power figure. i believe newer versions can be used for field based aerodynamic testing.

I say ‘used to use’ as whilst it gave me a repeatable figure ,i never got into structured training. Combined with glitchy software and being a faff to set up it has sat in my garage for many years and thus would not recommend. Instead go for a direct power meter to gauge your effort.

BUT… If you are determined to use wind and don’t mind faff, worth a look. Heck I’d sell you mine.

Edit: I’ve just googled and looks like they have made it more friendly to use.

Regards Dan

there was and still is just such a device available, it is the Velocomp product. Their software actually calculates the effort speed from the ground speed and the associated air speed. https://velocomp.com/