Winter Overshoes

What are we all recommending for winter overshoes? I’m not keen to go full winter cycling boot, but last winter I was never able to figure out how to keep my toes from getting painfully cold. My warmest solution was a set of Pearl Izumi neoprene toe covers along with some pretty cheap ROCKBROS overshoes.

Again, I wasn’t terribly happy with this system. There were rides where the cold toes turned downright painful over the course of 60-120 minutes. For reference my idea of winter riding is in the 33-40F range. Once things freeze, I’m inside on the trainer or in non-cycling winter boots for short rides on the commuter bike (flat pedals).

I figure I can probably manage this with some proper overshoes, so I’m here for recommendations, as they all look the same to me.

I use spatzwear overshoes all winter In Ireland. I change the thickness of my socks based on the weather but they are quite warm anyway so tend to wear summer socks under them most of the time. You will get moist in them from perspiration not rain.

It is important to wear shoes without sole ventilation in them to prevent water sneaking in the bottom

2 Likes

+1 for Spatzwear. I have the GRAVLR version which are incredible for BC (Canada) riding. I use them during shoulder season for both gravel and road…they are super warm and, by far, the most durable overshoe I’ve ever had. After ripping multiple overshoes over the last few years, I decided to invest in Spatz and couldn’t be happier!

3 Likes

Honestly, haven’t found an overshoe that actually cuts the mustard.

I’ve probably spent at least half as much on overshoes, toe covers and socks as I did in shoes. The shoes last longer and are definitely warm enough to stop the sobbing when I get home something just covers never did.

1 Like

I use this Castelli neoprene version, they’ve held up well over a few UK winters. The holes in the bottom seem well designed because other sets I’ve had have been torn up by my heel or the cleat after a season.

I also use a pair of winter insoles (these ones from Lake) and have found them pretty effective as well - sometimes I just wear the Rapha cordura oversocks which are a bit less cumbersome for all but the worst rain/mud.

2 Likes

I have had middling results with overshoes, so can’t recommend one in particular, but a game changer for me is adding a hot hands/feet warming packet. They make some that are thin with adhesive to stick to socks. I place them on the top of my foot and can comfortably fit my shoes on. If you can’t find these, I place a bulkier hot hands pouch on top of my shoes, under the overshoe. Works wonders.

1 Like

I’ve had over 10 years winter use out of a set of Norhtwave winter shoes (no idea of the model name at this stage). I’ve never had cold, numb feet in all the time I’ve had them.

For what they cost I’d have had to have bought 5 sets of overshoes and endured the PITA pulling them on and off the shoes over that time.

If you have the budget, I’d recommend winter shoes ahead of overshoes. You’ll be more comfortable, save money in the long run and be on and off the bike faster thanks to them.

5 Likes

How are the Spatzwear for getting on and off?

I’ve gone though loads of overshoes, most of them useless after 30 mins of riding in Vancouver winter rain. Two exceptions that work great are for road riding the Rapha Neoprene winter overshoe (which I don’t see on their site anymore) and for commuting the Gore Universal City.

Now that I’m slow and tired, I actually throw any old overshoes on top of a light winter shoe. Lovely warm happy feet all ride.

I got these from dexshell which are the best I’ve tried DexShell Heavy Duty Overshoes | DexShell Overshoes | DexShell.co.uk – Dexshell.co.uk though I paid only £17.50. full price is a bit steep. But they are warm and quite rugged
From what I’ve read the spatz ones are the best, but they are £££££. Depends on your pain threshold I guess add to how much you want to pay.

Another vote spatzwear - I use the shorter ones here, I do find they get a little hot above 10C.
Otherwise brilliant.

Easy. You do put them on before your shoes, but way easier than, for example, VeloToze.
They’re actually no more hassle to put on than normal overshoes (possibly even easier than some pairs I have).

+1 for NW winter boots, but only if op is going to ride often when it’s cold out, they aren’t cheap! I gave up after using endura neoprene overshoes for a few years, they’re a pain in the ass to get on and off with cold hands and are useless if it rains.

At the risk of prematurely ending this thread, I’ve made my decision. I’m going to try out the spat overshoes. They are pricey, but still significantly less than proper boots, and I’m not in it for the super cold. I’ll report back in a month or two.

Thanks for all the input!

1 Like

Nope note cheep, but can be found in sales. I also commute so at a minimum it would be 10 rides a week plus my fun riding.

If I only used them for the weekend coffee ride then I don’t think I’d have got them.

Yes, definitely not hard to get on and off. Somewhat of a learning curve, but there are good videos which were helpful. Just remember to put them on your shoes first!

Have pretty much given up on overshoes in the wet. Everything I’ve tried either isn’t waterproof enough for proper rain and/or just gets saturated so you end up with heavy as well as wet feet.

Cheap Castelli neoprene ones keep my feet warm when it’s cold and dry, and can cope with muck/light puddle splash. If it’s 8-10 C and raining, I can cope with a 2 hour ride, any colder and I’m either out for an hour or so and warming my feet up in the shower afterwards, or I’ll just go for a run instead…

I picked these up from the bargain bin in what used to be Cycleways on Parnell St in Dublin back in the 90s, which was the source for most of my kit back then. Warm enough for an Irish winter, and I only very rarely got my socks wet in them.

I’d probably attribute their longevity at least in part to the mild California winters so they only get a couple months wear per year nowadays. They still get compliments, which is nice.

I can give a vote of confidence for Ekoi (www.ekoi.fr).
I ride their neoprene ‘Cold Extreme 2’ in combination with the ‘Thermolite Carbon 3’ socks. The combination works very well down to about freezing.