Wout Van Aert & Souplesse

He’s obviously incredibly strong and versatile, but one thing that ‘the best rider in the world’ doesn’t get enough credit for, in my view at least, is just how good he looks on a bike, just so smooth.

Got me thinking - what other riders in the modern peloton do you think display similar souplesse as Van Aert? Nibali comes to mind. Contador was gorgeous too.

6 Likes

Anna Van der breggen I think has to take the prize for this one.

11 Likes

Yeah , that helicopter shot from worlds in Imola last year was just beautiful… Van der Breggen a great shout. Thanks for reminding me!

2 Likes

A bit of a throw back but Miguel Indurain looked really good on a bike. I remember trying to emulate him when I was a junior. He climbed so smoothly on a bike.

2 Likes

There was a gif that went around last winter of vdPoel going through some technical sections of a Cross course. Poetry in motion. He never slowed down.

2 Likes

MVDP - Technically amazing and incredibly powerful, but a bit of a stomper, no???

2 Likes

I’m going to bring the wrath of the British down on my head here, but I love how smooth Adam Yates is when he’s climbing out of the saddle. Completely controlled and not choppy at all. It’s fun to watch before he gets dropped. :grin:

2 Likes

(Despite the doping) Jan Ullrich sat graciously on the bike

Luis Leon Sanchez is probably the best looking guy on a bike of the current bunch.

2 Likes

Like he’s making world class, legendary, cut above the rest mashed potatoes

Wiggan’s always looked classy - on the road, in TT’s or on the boards.

I thought Enric Mas looked super smooth at the Vuelta….even when on the ragged edge trying to stick with Rog.

1 Like